Skip to content


Animal Control

The Town of Riverview encourages a safe and enjoyable community for people and pets. All inquiries or complaints concerning animals within the Town of Riverview should be directed to the Animal Control Officer, who can make recommendations for pest removal and by-law enforcement if required. 

Some of the most common animal related complaints include:

Dogs Found Running at Large

All dogs and cats must be leashed and under control in public places except off-leash areas that are designated by signage. Pets who are found wandering are considered to be at-large and will be seized by the Animal Control Officer. The owner must pay all associated fees before the animal will be returned. 

Barking Dogs

Contact us to file a noise complaint if the owner of the barking dog is not cooperative. We will then visit the owner and make recommendations to solve their problem. Legal action may be taken if the problem persists.

When filing a noise complaint, have the following in mind:

  • location of barking dog
  • time of day the noise occurs
  • how often the noise and occurs and length of time
  • how the noise directly affects you

Poop and Scoop

Cleaning up after pets shows courtesy to neighbours, reduces exposure to parasites, enhances neighbourhood livability by keeping it clean, and it's the law. Owners must immediately remove feces left by their animal within the town. Complaints of this sort can be difficult to investigate, please contact us for further information.

Nuisance Cats

The Town of Riverview's Animal Control By-Law prohibits cats from being off their owner's property without a leash. We encourage residents to keep their cats inside or ensure that they are supervised or walked on a leash whenever taken outside.


The Town of Riverview does not provide a wildlife removal service. As a landowner, you are responsible for managing wildlife issues on your property. Residents who are experiencing problems are encouraged to contact the Department of Natural Resources at 506-856-2344 or enlist the services of a commercial wildlife removal company. Learn more about wildlife in New Brunswick

Pet Licensing

Owners are required to obtain an annual pet licence for dogs and cats living in Riverview for more than 130 days. By licensing your pet, you increase their chance of being reunited with you should they ever get lost. 

Responsible Pet Ownership

As a responsible pet owner, you have an obligation to care for the health and well-being of your animal for the rest of its life. You also have a duty to prevent your pet's activities from disrupting neighbours or the environment. Help the Town of Riverview ensure that pets, their owners and neighbours live together in safety and harmony by adhering to principles of Responsible Pet Ownership (PDF).