Skip to main content

Animal Control

Daily life in Riverview should be enjoyable—for both people, and their pets. To help make sure that the Town offers an appropriate environment for both, there are a number of animal-related by-laws in place, plus some common sense recommendations. All inquiries or complaints concerning animals within the Town of Riverview should be directed to the Animal Control Officer, who can make recommendations for pest removal and by-law enforcement if required.


Pet Licensing

Owners are required to obtain an annual pet licence for dogs and cats living in Riverview for more than 130 days. By licensing your pet, you increase their chance of being reunited with you should they ever get lost. A valid rabies certificate is required for all dogs and outdoor cats to be licensed.


Responsible Pet Ownership

You have an obligation to care for the well-being of your animal for the rest of its life. You also have a duty to prevent your pet's activities from disrupting neighbours or the environment. Please observe the principles of Responsible Pet Ownership.


Dogs Found Running at Large

All dogs and cats must be leashed and under control in public places except in designated off-leash areas. Pets who are found wandering are considered to be at-large and will be seized by the Animal Control Officer. The owner must pay all associated fees before the animal will be returned.


Barking Dogs

If the owner of a barking dog is not cooperative, you may file a noise complaint. We will then visit the owner and make recommendations to solve their problem. Legal action may be taken if the problem persists. When filing a noise complaint, please note the location of barking dog, time of day, how often the noise occurs and length of time, and how the noise affects you.


Poop and Scoop

Cleaning up after your pet is more than a courtesy to neighbours, it's the law. Owners must immediately remove faeces left by their animal within the Town. Complaints of this sort can be difficult to investigate—please contact us for further information.


Nuisance Cats

The Town of Riverview's Animal Control By-Law prohibits cats from being off their owner's property without a leash. We encourage residents to keep their cats inside or ensure that they are supervised or walked on a leash whenever taken outside.



The Town of Riverview does not provide a wildlife removal service. As a landowner, you are responsible for managing wildlife issues on your property. Residents who are experiencing problems are encouraged to contact the Department of Natural Resources at 506-856-2344 or enlist the services of a commercial wildlife removal company. Learn more about wildlife in New Brunswick.