Riverview Town Hall
Town of Riverview / Town Hall / Planning and Development

The Southeast Regional Service Commission provides planning and building inspection services to the Town of Riverview.

Planning Services

Land use planning guides development in an orderly manner, reduces land use conflict, protects the physical environment, protests and maintains valuable resources and provides stability to residents regarding what uses can be expected in their neighbourhood. Planning is done in the public's interest to protect and enhance the community. The Town of Riverview has adopted a Municipal Plan and a Zoning By-law to guide and direct the development of the Town with both the short term and long term vision of the community in mind.

Related Information:

Engineering Services

The Department of Engineering and Public Works is responsible for service connections and drainage plan approvals.

Submit a Request for Engineering Services

Building Approvals

The building and development permit's primary role is to protect the property owner and community by assuring that the development is in conformity with regulations, by-laws, and the National Building Code of Canada.

A building permit is required for all work on a new building or structure and for the demolition, relocation, alteration, or replacement of an existing building or structure. Changes in the use of a building or land may also require a permit.

In areas where there is a land-use by-law in effect, it is also necessary to obtain a development permit. A development permit provides confirmation that the project is in compliance with the regulations of the land use by-law with regards to the use, lot requirements, and development requirements. When required, a development permit must be issued prior to the issuance of the building permit.

Financial Incentive Program

The Town of Riverview’s new Financial Incentive Program offers an incremental tax-based rebate on the overall economic value of your development project. Our team of qualified experts are on-hand to help you with all of your development needs. Contact us today to get started or download our program criteria for more information!

Planning Advisory Committee (PAC)

The Planning Advisory Committee is responsible to:

a) advise Council on amendments to by-laws enacted under the Community Planning Act, such as the Municipal Plan, Zoning By-law, Subdivision By-law, etc., as well as to provide views on other land-use related matters; and

b) to make decisions on variances, temporary uses, conditional uses, and similar or compatible use applications. 


Monthly meetings of the Planning Advisory Committee will take place on the second Wednesday of each month in Riverview Town Hall (Council Chambers) at 6 p.m.




This site is powered by 100% renewable energy